Sunday, May 2, 2010

The War of Art



Books

I read them, but easily bored by them. Maybe I don't have the attention span or I get too busy to finish them, but at times, like writing, I just can't keep the focus or the drive. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I love reading, just at this point, with a piling plate, books aren't on that list.

My dear friend and "Skipper" to my "Ken", Autumn and I were talking about creative drives and what usually blocks them. "You ever read the book The War of Art by Steven Pressfield?" to which I replied no. "You should, I think it will help you out."

Ugh...books...

After she mentioned it at least three times, decided to bite the bullet and order a copy. Man alive, that was one of the best recommendations I've gotten in a long while. I feel so empowered, it's incredible. We as creatives have so many obstacles and stumbling blocks it's kinda hard to not give up and become a mindless drones.

A few gems:
-Resistance is the fear from within
-a pro takes criticism, but doesn't let it affect their work
-Resistance is a distraction (tv, drugs, internet, sex, family, friends)
-(and when I start my new job) "We only have rights to our work, not the fruits of said work" (meaning what comes from the work produced is not as important as doing the work itself)

While I haven't finished the book yet (can't wait to get to the Muse chapter), I feel like how I did when I first took African Studies...illuminated (not to be confused with Illuminati).

So please...pick up this book, you won't regret it. Matter of fact...read some for yourself

No comments: