Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day: A Suite For Ma Dukes

"Suite for Ma Dukes = John Williams plus Hip Hop" *



I had a Christmas in May moment when I received my Timeless DVD set on Thursday. I've been anxiously waiting for this and here these three DVDs were, in my hands and soon DVD drive. Tried to start with the Mulatu Astatke one because I knew if I went straight to Suite for Ma Dukes, I probably wouldn't watch the others. How well did I know myself because that's what happened.

Arranged by Miguel Atwood-Ferguson (who also took part in the Astatke DVD), the music of producer J. Dilla (James Yancey) was re-imagined as orchestral pieces. As the tweens would say, Oh Em Gee. To hear favorite songs like "Fall In Love", "Hoc N Pocky", or "Take Notice" (!!!) played by a forty (40) piece orchestra is incredible and you can see the love involved in making this happen. I will give you far warning: if you are a Dilla fan, you will cry/get emotional at least three times, especially seeing the cello placed for him.**

So please please do yourself a favor and purchase Suite for Ma Dukes (the Timeless collection is highly recommended).

Take Notice


Dwele performing "Angel"


Here is Georgia Anne Muldrow's remix of "Untitled/Fantastic" from the upcoming Timeless: Remixed Ep coming out this summer



*as a youngster, I used to borrow Pops in Space at least ten times. John Williams was the first conductor/composer that could get me to listen to an orchestral album without falling asleep. Also since I'm a geek, he did the score for my favorite movies, notably (you guessed it) the Star Wars saga. So to me, that's the highest praise I could give. Don't care if you agree or not, THIS IS MY BLOG GOTDAM IT! haha

**Dilla used to play the cello, which was an inspiration for the suite. There is an edit with it involved that almost made me lose it.

2 comments:

freda said...

i really need to heed your advice and cop this.

Anonymous said...

Thanks ! Supper Post !